One of Opera Australia’s Most Popular Productions - $55 for an A or B Reserve Seat to The Mikado This Wednesday or Thursday Night at the Arts Centre, Melbourne (up to $115 value)
- A or B reserve seat
- Presented by Australia’s premiere performing arts company
- One of Opera Australia’s most popular productions
- Warm-hearted, fun night at the theatre
- Songs include: 'Three Little Maids From School Are We,' 'A Wand’ring Minstrel I' and 'On a Tree by a River'
- Effervescent, stunning production
- A great show for the whole family
- Canonical Gilbert and Sullivan work
- Stars musical theatre comic genius, Mitchell Butel
- Read more about The Mikado
- Purchase unlimited vouchers
- Valid only for performances on Wednesday 25 May at 7.30pm and Thursday 26 May at 7.30pm
- Booking required by 3.30pm Tuesday 24 May
- Redeem voucher by calling the Opera Australia Box Office at: (03) 9685 3700 (Mon- Fri 9am-5pm). Quote the voucher code and security code and state you’re from Groupon Australia
- Subject to availability
As a sequel to the Mikado, the librettist William Gilbert toiled with having certain British Pirates mount a spirited expedition to the Japanese town of Titipu. Here the apprentice Pirate Frederic plays hide and seek with Peep-Bo, the Major-General leads a chorus of Pomp and Circumstance with teenage geisha girls, and the Lord High Executioner retires to a life of serenity with the pirate’s maid Ruth who would cook, clean and polish his axe every evening. Experience the fun, frivolity and laughter of the original with today’s deal: $55 for an A or B reserve seat to Opera Australia’s The Mikado next Wednesday or Thursday night at the Arts Centre, Melbourne (up to $115 value).
Culture connoisseurs and casual curiosities will dust off the kimono in eager anticipation of cherishing one of the great operettas, presented by this premiere performing arts company at the Arts Centre on Southbank. The Mikado is a light-hearted piece of utter merriment performed to perfection in this glittering Opera Australia production. Swoon over the wandering minstrel Nanki-Poo, gasp at the Lord High Executioner and roar with laughter at the three little maids, Yum-Yum, Peep-Bo and Pitti-Sing. Ultimately, anguish over the Mikado’s decree that an execution must take place; luckily audience members receive automatic amnesty. The famous Gilbert and Sullivan songs leave protagonists incapable of resisting toe-taps, audible humming and flicking ornamental silk fans to the infectious beat.
The production is based on an original
by Christopher Renshaw and is directed by internationally-acclaimed theatre
aficionado Stuart Maunder. Brian Castles-Onion is in charge of waiving the
baton before his orchestra. Comic genius, direct from fraternising with playful
puppets on Avenue Q, Mitchell Butel plays the role of Lord High Executioner. The
production is performed in English with English surtitles and runs for two hours and 40 minutes including one 20-minute interval. To redeem the voucher Melbournian Grouponites
should call the Opera Australia Box Office on 03 9685 3700, during standard
work hours, 9am-5pm, to organise tickets. Please quote the unique voucher code
when booking and tell the friendly staff that you’re calling from Stardeals
To get the most out of the opera experience, check out The Mikado Guide for a description of the story, cast, characters and more.