During this 9-day expedition, trekkers can explore the diverse landscape of Northern Sumatra. Lush tropical forests, volcanoes, waterfalls, and lakes, as well as traditional villages, all await those wanting to experience the best of what the island has to offer. Travellers start their journey in Medan, the capital city of Sumatra, and then head to Bukit Lawang where they can encounter wildlife indigenous to Gunung Leuser National Park including orangutans, elephants, monkeys and a myriad of other species.
- Early in the afternoon be picked up from Medan and head to the hotel in Bukit Lawang by a private vehicle; join the orientation meeting and have dinner with a head guide
- Set off on a 2-3 hour practice trek to test out clothing and trekking kit whilst trying to spot some semi-wild orangutans
- After breakfast, set off on 6-day trekking adventure; enjoy overnight camping and dinner in the wild
- Continue the trek to the next camp and look for signs of wild orangutan nests and other wildlife tracks; be instructed on how to make a jungle camp, enjoy late afternoon fishing by the river and prepare a jungle dinner
- Spend the day looking for signs of wildlife in the surrounding area, collect some jungle vegetables for dinner and learn about medical remedies that can be found in the wild; be guided on how to cook the jungle vegetables and see how a jungle medicine is prepared
- Continue trekking and observing the wildlife; take a chance to help with setting up the jungle camp and dinner preparation
- Enjoy further trekking and tracking of wildlife; spend the last night of camping in the jungle; help to set up camp and prepare jungle dinner (it is not obligatory)
- Trek to tubing pick up point for exhilarating river tubing back to Bukit Lawang and accommodation
- Be transferred back to Medan
See here for more information.