The Hotel: Silverwater Resort
Perched high on the hills above the picturesque town of San Remo, Silverwater Resort offers sleek and contemporary accommodation at the gateway to Phillip Island. Whether guests are accompanied by their other half, friends or family, Silverwater provides a distinctly unique Victorian getaway.
Set on an impressive seven hectares, Silverwater Resort is a playground for kids and grown-ups alike. Make a splash in the expansive outdoor or indoor swimming pool or simply unwind in the spa. For those with extra energy to burn, the tennis, basketball and bocce courts are hard to look past. Kids will find it impossible to tear themselves away from the playground or jumping pillows. When hunger strikes, try out locally-sourced fresh produce overlooking the bay at Watermark Restaurant. No evening is complete without a coffee, beer or cocktail at the stylish Lounge Bar.
Feel like at home in chic, modern surrounds, courtesy of a lavishly-appointed Resort Room, or opt for a One-, Two- or Three-Bedroom Apartment boasting a fully-equipped kitchen and laundry facilities. All room have private balconies or patios where guests can rest after a day full of adventure and leisure.
- Bed type: Queen bed
- Standard occupancy: Two people
- Maximum occupancy: Two people
- This room features a private balcony or terrace, air-conditioning, and ironing facilities
- Bed type: Queen bed or two single beds
- Standard occupancy: Two people
- Maximum occupancy: Three people
- This apartment features a private balcony or terrace with BBQ, fully-equipped kitchen, ducted temperature control, and laundry facilities.
- Bed type: One king and one queen beds or one queen and single beds
- Standard occupancy: Four people
- Maximum occupancy: Five people
- This apartment features a private balcony or terrace with BBQ, fully-equipped kitchen, ducted temperature control, laundry facilities, and one bathroom
- Bed type: Six single beds or three king beds
- Standard occupancy: Six people
- Maximum occupancy: Seven people
- This apartment features a private balcony or terrace with BBQ, fully-equipped kitchen, ducted temperature control, laundry facilities, and two bathrooms with a spa bath
The Area: Phillip Island, VIC
A mere 90 minutes’ drive from Melbourne, Phillip Island has long been a popular tourist destination for Melbournians keen to escape the city to be at one with nature. Treasured for its varied collection of Australian wildlife, the island is home to kangaroos and wallabies, fur seals and Pacific Gulls. In spite of its diminutive stature, the little penguin stands out as the highlight of the region’s animal inhabitants, with a large population of the slate-blue seabirds making their nests in dune burrows along the sandy beach.
The best way to see the small birds is via the Penguin Parade at Summerland beach, where scores of penguins journey across the sand to their nests each and every day at sunset. Next head over to the Koala Conservation Centre to meet even more cuddly creatures. Take a stroll down the Woodland Boardwalk and talk to rangers about what they are doing to protect the sleepy marsupials.
There’s no better vantage to view the coastal scenery than during a walk, and plenty is available nearby for travellers to choose their level of difficulty. Head to Cape Woolamai to catch a glimpse of shearwater and muttonbird colonies then cap it off with a stroll along the pristine beach. After all that walking, bodies deserve a treat in the form of a visit to Phillip Island Chocolate Factory. See the world’s largest chocolate waterfall, robots and plenty of interactive displays and cap off the tour by taking home some sweets from the retail store.