Catch the ferry from Darwin to spend the day with the traditional Tiwi people of Bathurst Island, one of the Tiwi Islands, a group of islands off the coast of the Northern Territory. You’ll see the famous Tiwi art and burial poles, witness a traditional smoking ceremony and drink billy tea with the locals. Take this rare opportunity to interact with a modern-day Aboriginal community, and gain unique insights into the complex cultural rituals of Australia’s Tiwi Islands. Lunch and ferry are included!
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Cullen Bay Marina, Darwin, Northern Territory Australia
Make your own way to the Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal in Darwin to catch the 2.5 hour ferry cruise to Bathurst Island, where you'll take a guided tour of the Aboriginal community of Wurrumiyanga.
Pass By: Wurrumiyanga NT 0822, Australia
Your tour takes you to the island’s museum, where you’ll see traditional Tiwi art depicting the Aborigines' Dreamtime stories. You'll also visit the mission precinct church, designed in traditional Tiwi style.
Then visit the Tiwi art center, where you'll have the opportunity to purchase Tiwi art if you wish, before relaxing with billy tea (campfire tea) and damper (bread cooked in a campfire) with a group of Tiwi ladies. With insightful commentary provided by your guide, watch Tiwi totem dances, and hear the meaning behind the traditional smoking ceremony which will be performed for you.
Stop At: Tiwi Islands, Tiwi Islands, Top End, Northern Territory
Visit the Tiwi Islands
Duration: 6 hours
Pass By: Bathurst Island, Bathurst Island, Tiwi Islands, Top End, Northern Territory
Your time on Bathurst Island also includes a visit to a Tiwi burial site, where the complex rituals of the island’s burial poles (known as Pukamani poles) will be explained. If conditions are right, your visit might also include a refreshing swim in a local waterhole. You will also receive a boxed lunch of sandwiches and fruit to enjoy along the way.
When you day comes to an end, you’ll be transferred to the ferry terminal catch it back to Darwin,
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A maximum of 18 people per tour ensures personalized service
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Please bring your own washable face mask and gloves. Should an unexpected situation arise, additional face masks, rubber gloves, antiviral sprays/wipes are available for guest distribution. Group sizes will be continuously reviewed to align with government recommended protocols.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Experienced driver guide
- Return ferry from Darwin to Bathurst Island
- Local billy tea and damper for morning tea
- Visit the Tiwi Museum
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal, Larrakeyah NT 0820, Australia
10 hours 9 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the AAT Kings in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.