On this 10-hour tour from Cairns, spend the morning exploring the lush scenery of the surrounding rainforest in a 4-wheel-drive vehicle that takes you into Barron Gorge National Park and Kuranda National Park, part of the Wet Tropics of Queensland UNESCO World Heritage site. With an exclusive-access pass, you'll visit areas not open to the public. After this off-road adventure, you'll be dropped in Kuranda for free time to enjoy the village before returning to Cairns on either the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway or Kuranda Scenic Railway—your choice (select when booking). Hotel pickup and drop-off is provided in Cairns only.
What You'll Get
After pickup from your Cairns hotel by your guide, your tour begins by heading north to Barron Gorge National Park. Stop at Surprise Falls, a 797-foot-high (243-meter) waterfall set in the lower Barron Gorge.
Continue climbing the Lamb Range to the west of Cairns, and enjoy views over the city and out toward Green Island on the Great Barrier Reef. Then head to Lake Morris and Copperlode Dam; this is Cairns’ water supply, surrounded by World Heritage rainforest–clad mountains. You'll have time to stretch your legs and snap photos from the lookout before crossing the dam wall.
With your exclusive-access permit, head into areas not typically open to the public, away from the crowds. In your 4WD vehicle, wind through some of the most amazing rainforest landscapes in the region and over the Great Dividing Range, one of the longest mountain ranges in the world. Continue through the rainforest, crossing several creek systems and stopping at a boardwalk for an interpretive overview of the rainforest from your guide, including an introduction to the Clohesy River fig tree.
Next, leave the lushness of the Wet Tropics and enter the beginning of Australia’s savannah country, marveling at the rapid change in the forest types and scenery. Back on paved roads, make your way to Kuranda, where your guide drops you off just before midday for free time to explore this 'Village in the Rainforest.' You have about three hours to check out its attractions and markets on your own, and have lunch at one of the cafes or restaurants (own expense).
Later in the afternoon, return to Cairns by either the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, which glides over the World Heritage–listed rainforest and provides aerial views, or on the historical Kuranda Scenic Railway, where you can learn about the history of this feat of engineering. Once you have completed your choice of journey, you will be transferred by coach back to your accommodation in Cairns.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not recommended for children 4 years and under
- Please bring your own water
- Bring or wear clothing/gear for wet weather (November to June)
- Minimum of 2 participants applies for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements; in the event of this occurring, you will be notified
- National Park fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by 4WD vehicle
- Driver/guide for 4WD tour
- One-way ride on either the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway or Kuranda Scenic Railway (select when booking)
- Entry/Admission - Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
- Entry/Admission - Kuranda Scenic Railway
- Entry/Admission - Barron Gorge National Park
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from the Northern Beaches or Port Douglas; tour does not operate from these areas
- Upgrades on cableway or railway ride
Centrally located Cairns accommodations
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Discovery Tours Australia in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.