See wild kangaroos at sunset when they are most active!
Dusk is the best time to walk with wild kangaroos in their natural habitats. Koalas also become active in the late afternoon. Join this afternoon and evening, fully inclusive small group (max 10 people) kangaroo and koala tour, led by an experienced Wildlife Guide.
Walk through natural bushland and experience Australia's wildlife up close. On this afternoon & evening Melbourne wildlife tour, you'll not only gain some great experiences, but you'll also be contributing to the health and wellbeing of Australia's native animals.
What You'll Get
Melbourne to the You Yangs and return
We depart Melbourne at around 2.15pm to travel just 45 minutes to the west to the bushland of You Yangs Park. The park is home to a healthy population of wild Koalas, which we research and monitor to ensure the best possible sightings. We take a very easy walk through the gum trees, searching for koalas, wallabies, kangaroos and birds in their natural setting. Your Wildlife Guide will introduce you to each koala as an individual, with a history, social life and family. You will learn all about these threatened mammals, and probably have some great photographic opportunities.
Your Wildlife Guide will show you how to approach koalas quietly, and how to watch them from a respectful distance without disturbing them. We stop for 5 minutes to remove some noxious weeds to improve Koala habitat. Please go to the Make a Home for Koala Clancy page on our website for more details.
The area we walk through is of great significance to the local Aboriginal People of the Wathaurong Tribe. The granite rock formations of the You Yangs staged huge meetings of Aboriginal People from all over southeastern Australia. Many signs of their occupation still remain. Your Guide will share their knowledge with you. Though we may not be meeting any Aboriginal People on this tour, we act with the knowledge, consent and support of the Wathaurong Community (One of our Wildlife Guides & Koala Researchers is a local Aboriginal Person, but we cannot guarantee that she will be working on your day).
Leaving the You Yangs, we travel just 10 minutes to Serendip wetlands national park. Often our entrance is heralded by the screeching of Cockatoos or the chattering of Honeyeaters. We drive, then walk through the gum trees and across grasslands in search of wild mobs of Eastern Grey Kangaroos.
Kangaroos are most active in the cool of dusk, and mobs that may have been hiding during the day will start to come out onto the grasslands to feed. They also get quite frisky at this time of day, and its most likely we will see hopping, fighting and interaction between members of the mob.
We also look out for curious Emus and take a short walk to the billabong to watch waterbirds settling down for the night.
We return to Melbourne around 9.00 to 9.30pm.
NOTE: this itinerary is an indication only. Due to conditions on the day, weather or National Parks instructions, it may change to maximise wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour operates with a minimum of 2 and maximum 10 adult passengers.
- What to Bring: Good walking shoes or boots, clothing to suit variable weather conditions (temperatures range from 5C to +35C, sun hat, rainproof coat, insect repellent, 15+ sunblock and 1 litre water bottle. Camera and binoculars are also recommended.
- Infant seats can be provided at a fee of AUD$20 payable direct.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required.
- Tour itinerary is subject to change to optimise wildlife experience
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Central pickup, Hotel drop-off (CBD & Southbank)
- Transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Guided full day tour
- Expert Nature Guides
- Picnic Dinner
- Australia's Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Due to timings, this tour is not recommended for passengers arriving & departing via cruise ship
MELBOURNE DAY TOUR CENTRE, Melbourne VIC 3004, Australia
7 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Echidna Walkabout in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.