Set in the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area, Jenolan is Australia's most spectacular cave system, the largest cave system in Australia (that is open to the public) and is 340 million years old - ranking it amongst the oldest caves on Earth. At Jenolan, the River Cave is extra effort, but worth it - mind-bending labyrinth, awe-inspiring chambers and pure water.
What You'll Get
This is one of the longest tours at Jenolan, with 1,298 stair steps, including 2 steep ladders.
Visitors start the tour by passing through the last chambers of the Lucas Cave. Then, the first main chamber of the River Cave is the 'Tower Chamber', which presents an excellent photo opportunity with the huge stalagmite known as 'The Minaret'.
Moving downwards, the group sees the 'Pool of Reflections', the highlight of the tour for many. This large, illuminated pool of pure, still, blue water produces a multitude of perfect reflections. It is breath-taking.
The groups stops to admire the 'Queens Canopy', a large canopy of flowstone that extends out from the cave wall. Then, they enter 'Queen Esther's Chamber', where the roof and walls are completely covered in stalagmites and stalactites - awe-inspiring!
The group continues on, to see the 'Mons Meg Chamber' with its enormous centrepiece, then 'Olympia', a chamber dominated by a large column, known as the 'Grand Column'. As the group starts heading back, they pass through the spooky 'Mud Tunnels'.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- There are 1,298 stair steps on this tour, including 2 steep ladders. This tour can be enjoyed by people of average fitness. However, it is not suitable for anyone with health or mobility problems, or a fear of heights.
- Photography is welcomed, but tripods, monopods and selfie sticks are not allowed.
- Aim to arrive at Jenolan at least 30 minutes before your tour, to find parking and to use the restrooms.
- Young children are not allowed on this tour. The minimum age is 10.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Full guided tour and commentary for 2 hours.
- Jenolan has a large cafe, where you can purchase light lunch, drinks and snacks. There is also a large restaurant, which is open every evening. A range of accommodation is available.
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Jenolan Caves in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.