Expect fascinating history, delivered with energy and insight on a walking exploration of Sydney's birthplace: The Rocks. Together your group will uncover the scallywag stories of convicts, soldiers, rum & rebellions. This tour is led by historians & heritage professionals who share their passion for the past through extensive research & great storytelling
Before reaching the narrow alleyways & hidden ruins of The Rocks district, you’ll enter inside Sydney’s historical Customs House & discover the colonial relics at Macquarie Place. In The Rocks you'll bring to life convicts, craftsmen & cutthroats. You'll also venture below street level to discover a sandstone cellar connected to Sydney's gold-rush era.
Best of all, this tour finishes inside a converted 19th Century storehouse with a cobblestone beer-garden. This is a unique opportunity to soak in the stories you've shared over a refreshing drink, meet other members of your group & chat to your guide about local recommendations.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Journey Walks, Sydney Customs House 31 Alfred St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
Meet you guide at our Journey Walks' starting point Quay Bar — an outdoor venue with coffee and bathrooms where you can take a seat and enjoy being transported back in time as your guide introduces the age of British penal colonies and the story you are about to undertake on foot.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Sydney Customs House 31 Alfred St Circular Quay, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
Begin your journey by unraveling the elaborate sandstone facade of Sydney Customs House — the gateway for people and goods arriving by ship into Sydney through the 19th & 20th Century.
Then enter inside Customs House see a unique model of the entire city including Circular Quay and The Rocks in miniature (scale 1:500) below your feet as your guide illustrates the forming of the natural harbour and the urban settlement of Sydney.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
In The Rocks you'll find yourself wandering though back alleys and along cobbled lanes, passing some of the oldest pubs and houses in Sydney and getting lost in the stories of convicts, sailors and street gangs who occupied and worked in the area. Your guide will lead you to hidden sandstone ruins, old slums and underground cellars turned speak easy bars. The Rocks area is full of character, quirks and surprises.
Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Stop At: Macquarie Place Park, Bridge Street, Sydney, New South Wales Australia
Discover the hidden and forgotten relics found in Macquarie Place including the underground Edwardian lavatory, the First Fleet anchor and the Obelisk of distances — Sydney's first public monument designed and built by convicts for the Governor of NSW.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: The Argyle, 18 Argyle Street The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
Enter into a hidden courtyard in the heart of The Rocks where you'll find the original customs house and ex-cellars once filled with barrels of spirits and tobacco that now function as a bar and club. The Argyle will be our final stop where your guide will sum up the tour and include a free drink to end t he journey in style.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- We continue our tours in all weather conditions so please dress accordingly. Umbrella's are a good idea if wet weather seems likely.
- Due to the layout of The Rocks, some stairs are unavoidable at certain points along the way, but majority of the route follows flat terrain.
- Anyone requiring special assistance is kindly asked to make contact with your local operator in advance.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are advised that this tour may include the names and images of people who are now deceased.
- Your guide is a native English speaker who will communicate information clearly, ensuring you can hear every word
- Groups are kept small so that the platform for questions, discussion and interaction can be kept large
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- A local Sydney expert as your tour guide
- 2.5 hour walking tour covering approximately 20 historic sites and stories
- Local recommendations and extra question time with your guide is included after the tour.
- Finishing the tour inside a converted 19th Century storehouse with a cobblestone beer-garden.
- Entry/Admission - Customs House
- Entry/Admission - Macquarie Place Park
- Entry/Admission - The Argyle
- Food is not included on this tour, but your tour guide will have fantastic local recommendations
Quay Bar, 31 Alfred St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
2 hours 30 minutes
The Argyle, 18 Argyle St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Journey Walks in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.