Poihākena tours: stories of Māori in Sydney is based in The Rocks where Māori have lived, loved, visited, traded and worked for over 228 years. It is the only Māori tour in Australia, where one in five Māori now live. Poihākena tours are led by Māori Guides, passionate and knowledgeable about Māori Culture and history.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
The tour begins in Campbells Cove, at the harbour edge with a welcome in Māori language, (translated for visitors), and stories of early Māori visitors to Sydney since 1793. The tour meanders through The Rocks including cobblestoned laneways.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: The Rocks Discovery Museum, Kendall Lane The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
After visiting a timeline and other sites in The Rocks, the tours visits The Rocks Discovery Museum. At the Museum visitors will see a Māori greenstone treasured object that was revealed on a dig site in The Rocks, and get 'hands on' with other Māori cultural treasures.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: The Big Dig Archaeology Education Centre, 110 Cumberland St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia
Visit the archeological dig site where Māori cultural treasures have been revealed. See the actual locations they were found, the foundations of The Whalers Arms Hotel (a popular haunt of Māori whalers, sailors and traders) and walk down Māori Lane. The tour finishes with waiata (Māori song).
Duration: 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required for travelers
- COVID-19 vaccination required for guides
- Kotahi Tourism is a registered NSW Covid-Safe business. All visitors are required to check in using the NSW Covid-Safe app and comply with current NSW Health Guidelines.
- Tour commentary
27 Hickson Rd, Dawes Point NSW 2000, Australia
15 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Kotahi Tourism in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.