Discover Melbourne’s fascinating art deco architecture on this small-group, 3-hour walking tour. Learn about the history and culture of Melbourne while admiring fine examples of the city’s most famous art deco buildings, including the Manchester Unity Building and Majorca Building. Learn fascinating details about the tiles, patterns, and designs that were popular in the 1930s, and discover how the 1934 Centenary of Melbourne, as well as Mayan, Spanish, and Egyptian art, influenced the city’s architecture.
About This Deal
Meet your guide and small group at the Manchester Unity Building at 10am to being your 3-hour walking tour. In 1934, Melbourne celebrated its centenary and this event provided a catalyst for a building boom that transformed the city. As a result, Melbourne has some of the finest art deco buildings in the world, with many of the best examples located in the city center.
Follow your art deco expert guide to see and hear about various types of architecture in the city, including the Manchester Unity Building and the Majorca Building. Learn how to recognize the art deco style, including the use of terracotta ‘self-cleaning’ tiles, the distinctive patterning, and other design details of the genre. Discover how Spanish, Egyptian, Mayan and other cultures influenced the style and how this was an indicator as to what people were interested in during this time.
Finish your tour at 1pm in Melbourne’s CBD.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 13 years
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup
- Food and drinks
Manchester Unity Building, 220 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the MELTours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.