This is a fully guided interpretive tour of the now abandoned Mary Katleen uranium mine that was first discovered in 1954 and decommissioned in the early 80's
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mary Kathleen, Mount Isa, Queensland Australia
Originally discovered in 1954 by Norm McConachy and Clem Walton, the Mary Kathleen Uranium Mine and Township were officially opened by Robert Menzies, Prime Minister of Australia and Frank Nicklin, Premier of Queensland in October 1958.
In its heyday, the township had a population of 1,000 people and was situated 6 km from the working mine. The township had all the essentials that a population of that size needed - a post office, school, cinema, banks, hospital, supermarkets, swimming pool, sports grounds orchards and more.
The uranium in Mary Kathleen mine was exhausted by 1981 and it was subsequently closed. Today we can still see the concrete slabs where the original buildings stood, remnants of the town’s layout and the mine itself. And if we listen carefully we may hear the distant voices of the residents as they weave through the trees on the breeze.
Duration: 2 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 12 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour does not accommodate infants
- Children must be supervised at all times
- Participants must be able to walk unaided
- Participants must wear closed in walking shoes
- Hat and sunscreen are recommended
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- COVID-19 vaccination required for guides
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea - Light Afternoon Tea
- Accommodation Pick ups available
- Entry/Admission - Mary Kathleen
Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact us on the phone number in your voucher if your pick-up location is not listed.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the North West Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.