Flinders and Arkaroola 5 Day Tour
Small group eco tour ~ maximum 16 passengers
Comfortable off road vehicle!
What You'll Get
DAY 1 Adelaide to Flinders Ranges
Leave the beautiful city of Adelaide behind and head north along the eastern sides of the Gulf Saint Vincent & Spencer Gulf.Visit historical coastal towns and learn about South Australia’s rich maritime history of long jetties and old sailing boats.
Enjoy a picnic lunch at Mt Remarkable National Park surrounded by 600 million year old mountains with an abundance of native wildlife. If you enjoy bush walking we will take you on a one hour guided walk with spectacular views over the mountain ranges and Spencer Gulf.
Continue our journey across the Flinders Ranges (one of the oldest mountain ranges on earth) visiting the historic township of Quorn. Wander around town, say gidday to the friendly locals, photograph the old buildings and famous railway station. Quorn was once the start of the old Ghan Railway and has been a popular filming site for the Australian film industry since it’s inception. Aussie greats filmed in this quintessential outback town include ‘The Shiralee’, ‘Sunday Too Far Away’, ‘The Sundowners’ and many more.
Heading out along the dirt tracks to Warren Gorge we search for the rare Yellow-footed Rock Wallabies that live amongst the rugged rock formations in this beautiful area. Investigate old ghost towns that are a witness and testament to the hardships of our pioneering ancestors.
You will arrive at Merna Mora Station in the late afternoon. This working sheep station is situated on the south western side of the famous Wilpena Pound. Enjoy a delicious Aussie barbeque then sit back and relax around the campfire. Experience the unforgettable magic of the desert sky of the Real Australian Outback!
Overnight: Merna Mora Sheep Station
Meals: (L) (D)
See Extra Info for Day 2-5 Itinerary
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- DAY 2 Flinders Ranges to Arkaroola
- After a hearty breakfast, we travel the spectacular Moralana Scenic Drive. This magnificent track offers unsurpassed scenery with plenty of wildlife, including kangaroos and emus.
- Continue to the Stokes Hill Lookout and be amazed by the endless vista and views of Wilpena Pound. Soak up the clean air, savour the solitude and capture some very special photos.
- After lunch at the old copper mining town of Blinman, a local mining expert will take you deep underground. Explore some of the mine’s many shafts and be enthralled by stories of the hardy Cornish miners who pioneered this area.
- From here we head further north, deep into the real outback, through the Gammon Ranges National Park and into the world famous Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary. Arkaroola is situated in the Northern Flinders Ranges, with it’s rugged granite terrain, that is both wild and beautiful.
- Optional extras : Scenic flight over Arkaroola & the outback. Optional Extra! Astronomy night. Overnight: The Arkaroola Wilderness Resort Meals: (B) (L) (D)
- Today your experienced guide will take you on an exhilarating adventure along the world renowned 4WD Ridge Top Tour! Buckle up and hang on as your vehicle carefully transverses the steep terrain to the top of Sillers Hill Lookout (approximately a 4 hour return trip)
- After lunch we leave Arkaroola and travel through the awe-inspiring scenery of the Gammon Ranges.
- Late afternoon travelling through this country can be a really special experience with dramatic landscapes and constantly changing colours as the sun sinks into the western desert sky.
- Arrive at the historic Beltana Homestead where Sir Thomas Elder and other outback legends, founded this remote station country. Enjoy a country-cooked roast lamb dinner with all the trimmings prepared by the stations head cook. What better way to end the day than with a spot of star gazing? Clear skies, clean air and a star-filled sky; this is what dreams are made of!
- Overnight: Beltana Station
- Meals: (B) (L) (D)
- Take advantage of the early morning light and wander around this working outback sheep station. Explore the old woolshed (once one of the most important in the land), and the stone monument to explorer Ernest Giles, who set out on a death-defying journey from Beltana to Perth, Western Australia in 1875 – one of Australia’s most famous pioneering expeditions.
- From the desert plains, we travel back into the mountains, through the world famous Brachina Gorge. This is known as the Corridors Through Time, and contains geological formations that bear a record of ancient environments and life forms belonging to a period in Earth’s history which lasted for hundreds of millions of years.This unique area attracts geologists, painters, poets and photographers from around the globe. Nature at its very best!
- Afternoon will find us at Wilpena to join our guide for a bushwalk into Wilpena Pound itself, or just to relax and enjoy the tranquillity of the Flinders Ranges.
- Optional Extra! 30 minute flight over Wilpena Pound. Overnight: Rawnsley Park Station
- Meals: (B) (L) (D)
- Another highlight is a very special guided bushwalk to one of the aboriginal rock art sites. See artwork dating back thousands of years and discover some of the mysteries of the dreamtime.
- Travel south to the beautiful little township of Melrose, the first settlement in the Flinders Ranges and relax over lunch.
- As we travel through the Southern Flinders Ranges the landscape will change. We find ourselves entering the lush rural landscapes of the south.
- Last stop on this epic journey, that has taken us through some of the most amazing areas on earth, is the famous Clare Valley for some well-deserved wine tasting.
- Arrive Adelaide at approximately 6.00pm.
- Meals: (B) (L)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Accommodation as per itinerary
- Meals as per itinerary (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Pickup and drop-off from designated meeting points
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Carry on bag
- Bag for clothing (stored in trailer)
- Any special medication needs you have
- Toiletries including towels
- Warm clothing including long sleeve tops & pants
- Shorts & t-shirts
- Fly Nets (Snowys stock these)
- Insect Repellant, hat, sunscreen
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Water Bottle
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the SA Eco Tours and Australian Tours Charters in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.