Enjoy this 3 to 4 hour, small-group shore excursion from Port Arthur, taking a circular route around the southern part of the Tasman Peninsula. Highlights include Maingon Bay lookout, the Remarkable Cave, the Coal Mine Historic Site, Eaglehawk Neck, the Tasman Arch, the Devil’s Kitchen, Doo Town the Tasman Blowhole and the Tasmanian Devil Unzoo, the latter being optional, at own expense. This excursion is run for cruise ship passengers, who do not wish to spend the whole day at Port Arthur. There may also be an opportunity (Cruise Ship departure times and weather permitting) to experience a 15-minute scenic helicopter flight over Port Arthur Penitentiary and surrounding countryside (own expense).
What You'll Get
From the Port Arthur Visitor Centre, take a short drive to Maingon Point, where you can climb up and down 200 steps to see the natural wonder of the Remarkable Cave and view its layers of dolerite and sandstone, which form most of Tasmania's geology.
Then continue along the circular route toward Saltwater River and visit the ruins of the oldest coal mine in Tasmania. You could spend hours walking among the ruins of this very interesting historic site.
From here, the excursion takes the route through Doo Town, with its quaint and humorous house names, where you can view the Tasman Blowhole, the Devil's Kitchen, and the Tasman Arch. On the return to Port Arthur, a stop at the Tasmanian Devil Unzoo (own expense) to safely view these animals in a natural habitat. If you are lucky, you could be there at feeding time.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All customers, at time of booking (or prior to pickup): it is very important to provide a mobile number (incl. area code), if possible
- Cruise ship passengers to provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark.
- We are aware that Cruise Ship passengers need to return to their ship in time for departure. We aim to arrive at least 30 to 60 minutes prior to the stipulated time. Customers should confirm this time with their tour guide on the day of travel
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus or small coach
- Food and drinks
Port Arthur Historic Site Resource Centre, Arthur Hwy, Port Arthur TAS 7182, Australia
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure at 11:00 am, unless otherwise agreed.
Port Arthur Historical Site
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tours around Tasmania in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.