This approximately 7 hour excursion follows the River Derwent to the Mt. Field National Park rain forest, where one can experience the magnificence of the majestic Russell Falls on a day trip from Hobart. Walk through one of the wildlife parks and then wander around the historic village of Richmond. This small group tour, limited to 20 passengers, allows for a more customized experience with your expert guide. The approximately 9 hour option includes all of the above, plus a trip to the summit of Mt. Wellington.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Salmon Ponds Heritage Hatchery and Gardens, Plenty, Tasmania, Australia 70 Salmon Ponds Rd Take the A10 and B62 north out of Hobart, New Norfolk, Tasmania 7140 Australia
The Salmon Ponds, circa 1861, is the oldest trout hatchery in the Southern Hemisphere. It was the birthplace of trout in Australia and the origin of Tasmania’s legendary trout fishery.
View and feed trout and salmon, explore 19thCentury English gardens and perhaps even catch a glimpse of local wild platypus.
Anglers with an interest in the history of their sport will appreciate the collection showing the changes to fishing equipment over time and the history of angling in Tasmania. The museum is housed in the cottage built for the first superintendent of the Salmon Ponds in 1865.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Russell Falls, Mount Field National Park, Tasmania Australia
From Hobart, visitors will take a leisurely drive up through the Derwent River Valley, through the historic village of New Norfolk, to Mt. Field National Park, and Russell Falls, visiting the Salmon Ponds (optional) along the way.
Russell Falls is one of Tasmania’s most treasured places. The falls delight every visitor and can be reached by a very easy track that may suit some wheelchair users and those with strollers. You can return from the falls via the same track or follow the creek back by crossing the bridge below the falls.
Located in Mt Field National Park, this easy walk will take you through a mixed forest comprising towering swamp gums, the tallest flowering plant on Earth, and species typical of wet forests and cool temperate rainforests, such as dogwood, musk and myrtle. Towards the falls, the track is framed by stunning tall tree ferns. The falls themselves are impossibly picturesque.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, 593 Briggs Rd, Hobart, Tasmania 7030 Australia
After some nourishment at the restaurant (own expense) at Mt. Field, the excursion will continue down the other side of the Derwent River to Brighton, where one can spend an hour viewing the Tasmanian native animals at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Here you can get up front and personal with Tasmanian wildlife, including the Tassie Devil, Forest Kangaroos, Wallabies, Wombats, Koalas and many more. Have a conversation with Fred, the sulphur crested cockatoo, who is over 103 years old!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Richmond Gaol, 37 Bathurst St, Richmond, Clarence, Tasmania 7025 Australia
In Richmond, visitors will gain more insight into the early convict days that preceded Port Arthur, with a stroll through the oldest goal in Tasmania. You will also see the oldest convict constructed sandstone bridge still in use in Australia and St. John’s Catholic Church, the oldest Catholic Church in Australia, then you can wander around, and explore on your own, this quaint little hamlet, with its numerous old and heritage listed buildings, arts and craft galleries, antique shops, etc. A visit to the Old Hobart Town model, set out as Hobart was in the 1820s, is well worth while.
An allowance of 60 minutes has been scheduled for the stop in Richmond. This is enough time to grab a quick snack at the bakery, hotel or café, and explore what Richmond has to offer (on your own). We DO NOT recommend having a sit down meal in a cafe or restaurant, as this will eat up your hour allowance in itself.
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All customers, at time of booking (or prior to pick-up): it is very important to provide a mobile number (incl. area code), if possible.
- Cruise ship passengers to provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Land-based customers to provide accommodation details, at time of booking or prior to pick-up, for pick-up location purposes.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adult.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately - it is always cold at the summit
- We are aware that Cruise Ship passengers need to return to their ship in time for departure. We aim to arrive at least 30 to 60 minutes prior to the stipulated time. Customers should confirm this time with their tour guide on the day.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Children under the age of 4 are not permitted on this tour. Families with toddlers are encouraged to Charter a small vehicle- refer product 13015P20.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- Bottled water - Chilled (in a fridge)
- Live commentary on board
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus or small bus
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (Hobart CBD hotels only)
- Entry/Admission - Russell Falls
- Entry/Admission - Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (for accommodation outside the Hobart CBD)
- Food and drinks
- Entry/Admission - Salmon Ponds Heritage Hatchery and Gardens
- Entry/Admission - Richmond Gaol
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tours around Tasmania in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.