Join us for a journey into the Western Wilderness of Tasmania! This is one of the world’s premier World Heritage Areas. With amazing cultural and natural history to discover, we explore this awe-inspiring area with a series of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks” designed to showcase Tasmania’s premier World Heritage Area and the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. The premier walk on this day is the Donaghy’s Wilderness Lookout walk and we are thrilled to bring you an opportunity to access this area in 1 BIG day starting and finishing from Hobart.
• Tarraleah Village & Tasmania’s Hydro History
• Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair National Park
• Lake St. Clair: Australia's deepest freshwater lake
• “Great Short Walks” of Lake St. Clair
• Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park
• Franklin River Nature Trail
• Donaghys Hill Wilderness Lookout
• Tasmania's World Heritage Wilderness Area
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania Australia
Explore the southern end of the Cradle Mountain–Lake St. Clair National Park and the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park with a series of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks”.
We commence our day from Hobart with a scenic drive west arriving at Australia’s deepest lake: Lake St. Clair. This is an area carved out by ice during several glaciations over the last 2 million years. A panorama of mountains and wild forests form the backdrop around the spectacular lake. We have time here to enjoy a range of short walks exploring the forests and wild rivers that abound the area of Lake St. Clair. Or, you may choose to relax on the shoreline, slow down and enjoy the fresh air and surrounding scenery.
Moving onwards from Lake St. Clair we head into the heart of the Western Wilderness. In this National Park we explore more of Tasmania’s Great Short Walks. This first walk, a beautiful rainforest walk, along the edge of the wild Franklin river. Discover the fascinating history of this river as our Tour Guide shares the stories of the politics that played out in the area in the 1980’s.
Then it’s onwards to what we rank as one of the greatest of the “60 Great Short Walks” of Tasmania! A short uphill hike (around 30 minutes) takes us to Donaghy’s Hill Wilderness Lookout where we have 360 degree views of mountain after mountain. Wild rivers, forests, button grass plains, 30,000 years of Tasmanian Aboriginal history – as far as the eye can see. A stunning and awe-inspiring view of one of the world’s greatest wild areas that survives today. This is a humbling and inspiring place to stand taking in our surroundings.
“The Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area offers all people, for all time, the opportunity to seek joy and inspiration amidst the untrammelled grandeur of nature, and refuge from an increasingly artificial world. It is waiting for you to discover it, and, perhaps, discover a part of yourself.” – www.parks.tas.gov.au
We retrace our steps and begin the return trip to Hobart. After a full day out west, we arrive back to Hobart around 6.30 – 7.00pm.
Duration: 11 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years
- Walking is involved; a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential
- We provide accurate interpretation, and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimize negative impacts.
- Hotel pickup time is between 7 AM and 7:30 AM depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels ( no AirBnB’s). Please arrange pickup from your hotel at least 48 hours prior to departure with the tour operator.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- National Park entrance fees
- Professional guide and interpretive walks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Small, friendly groups
- We offer a Hotel pick up from most central city Hotels and Hostels
- Entry/Admission - Lake St. Clair
- Food and drinks (please either pre purchase, or there will be the opportunity to purchase on tour)
- We do not offer pick ups from Air BnB’s and private residences
Traveler pickup is offered
To arrange a Hotel pickup please email your tour operator at email@example.com
We offer Hotel & Hostel pick ups from select Hobart central city locations
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tours Tasmania in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.