Dust off your hiking boots and get ready to do The Cooloola Great Walk, a new bushwalking experience for 2018 that showcases the very best of the Cooloola Coast’s outstanding natural attractions. This 55-mile (88 kilometre), 5-day, 4-night, fully-guided, self-sufficient hike, links the Noosa Northshore to Rainbow Beach via the 500,000 year old Cooloola Sandmass which forms unique dune, perched lake and vegetation systems. Just 2 hours north of Brisbane is a remote region of 200 meter high giant sandhills, hidden sub-tropical and tall eucalypt forests, where you’ll be surrounded by nature’s chorus. See unspoiled ‘River of Mirrors’ in the Noosa Everglades and stark volcanic crags formed over 25 million years. To the east is Teewah Beach and Pacific Ocean where migrating Humpback whales can be seen during their annual migration from June to November. Watch the sunset over western volcanic peaks, witness the Milky Way and Southern Cross in the night sky and wake to the birdsong.
What You'll Get
Your unforgettable hiking adventure begins in Noosa Heads located in the UNESCO Noosa Biosphere Reserve on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, 45 minutes north from the Sunshine Coast Airport (MCY) or 2 hours from Brisbane Airport (BNE).
After meeting you at your Noosa accommodation, board the ferry to Noosa Northshore.
Enjoy pre-walk BBQ dinner/meeting and and an over-night in luxury accommodation, meet fellow walkers and tour leader, discuss the details of the walk and review walking gear. Enjoy a good night’s rest for tomorrow is the big day!
Day 1: Noosa North Shore track entrance to Brahminy Walkers’ Camp
17.3 km, 6 hours walking time - Arthur Harrold Nature Refuge, coastal heath plains, Teewah Beach, Mt. Seewah, Lace monitor lizards and honeyeaters.
Day 2: Brahminy Walkers’ Camp to Dutgee Walkers’ Camp
20.3 km, 7 hours walking time - woodland of Scribbly gums & Blackbutt forests, Cooloola Sandpatch, views of Lake Cootharaba, “River of Mirrors” in Noosa Everglades.
Day 3: Dutgee Walkers’ Camp to Littoria Walkers’ Camp:
4.8 km, 6 hours walking time - historic timbered country of Blackbutt and Wattle forests, Ramsay’s Hut, camp on a eucalypt forest on a ridge.
Day 4: Littoria Walkers’ Camp to Kauri Walkers’ Camp
20.5 km, 7 hours walking time. Perched lake Lake Cooloomra, “acid frogs”, scented carrol scrub, gigantic kauri pine and rainforest, night animals.
Day 5: Kauri Walkers’ Camp to Rainbow Beach
15.2 km, 5 hours walking time - Dawn chorus of whipbirds and fruit doves, perched lake Poona Lake, Carlo Sandblow, views of the Pacific Ocean, Double Island and Tin Can Bay.
Directly after we finish in Rainbow Beach we celebrate our accomplishment with a celebratory lunch and a couple well deserved drink, and exchange stories and recollections. Our shout! (on the house!)
Post-walk Options: Tropical Treks will return to Noosa Heads after our celebration luncheon providing complimentary transfers to the coastal areas between Rainbow Beach and Sunshine Coast Airport. We highly recommend staying longer to explore Rainbow Beach, World Heritage Fraser Island, Great Sandy National Park (Cooloola Great Walk), Coloured Sands, Double Island Point. We are happy to assist with recommendations, accommodation/tour bookings.
Wildflowers in Spring/Summer - synonymous with Cooloola.
Breaching Humpback whales migrating in June - November
Noosa Everglades, one of only two everglades systems on Earth
Cooloola Sandmass built over 500,000 years conserves rainforest, eucalypt forests, woodland and heath plains, perched lakes and sandblows.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Suitable for children 16 yrs. old with previous hiking experience, accompanied by an adult.
- Minimum guest numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A maximum of 6 people per booking, based on availability
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, pregnant women, people with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair as you will have to carry your own backpack and camp gear/equipment, steep inclines and uneven ground.
- Walks are approximately 6 hours each day.
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- All guest height & size MUST be advised at time of booking if using Tropical Treks backpack.
- 100% refund, less $150.00AUD deposit, to cancellations more than 30-days prior to departure.
- Confirmation, Registration Form and Terms & Conditions will be emailed within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Completed Registration Form & Terms and Conditions required on or before 30 days prior to departure.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- 1 night pre-walk accommodation
- Pre-walk Welcome BBQ dinner/meeting and breakfast.
- 4-night camping
- National Park fees
- On-trail breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Professional guide
- Transfers to Noosa Northshore and from Rainbow Beach to Noosa and the Sunshine Coast Airport.
- Camp gear and equipment
- 65-75 litre backpack
- Pre-walk BBQ dinner/meeting
- Transfer to start of walk
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transfer from Rainbow Beach to Noosa and the Sunshine Coast Airport
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic Beverages
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
Monday, Noosa Northshore
Tuesday, Brahminy Walkers' Camp
Wednesday, Dutgee Walkers' Camp
Thursday, Litoria Walkers' Camp
Friday, Kauri Walkers' Camp
Friday, Rainbow Beach
Sunday 2:00 pm.: Check-in pre-walk accommodation
Sunday 5:00 pm.: Pre-walk BBQ dinner/meeting
Monday - Friday 8:00 am. Depart walkers' camp for the day.
Friday 4:00 pm: Depart Rainbow Beach for Noosa
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tropical Treks Guided Bushwalks Birdwatching in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.