Walk amongst friendly kangaroos in open grasslands, get up close to koalas, wallabies and watch for a shy platypus, in their natural forest and wetland habitats. All surrounded by stunning mountain scenery at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. With your local expert wildlife guide discover how the animals live, the cultural significance of the area to Aboriginal people, and why kangaroos invented hopping! Relax in a comfortable passenger van for the scenic trip through forests and farmlands to the nature reserve and the NASA space discovery centre, 45 minutes south of Canberra.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Canberra Urban Adventures, Parkes Place West, Canberra 2600 Australia
Hop aboard our comfortable passenger van with your friendly local guide for the scenic 45-minute drive to the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve in the mountains south of Canberra. As we drive through the forests and farmlands, and cross big rivers, your guide will unpack the character of Canberra as the "nature capital" of Australia.
Arriving at the park we take a 15 minute break to explore the visitor centre and its animal displays. Here there are also rest rooms, coffee bar, and a gift shop full of unique Aussie animal momento's.
Venturing deep into the heart of the park to the wildlife sanctuaries it's time to begin our walks to meet the koalas, wallabies, and maybe a potoroo (a mini kangaroo) or two. Then head across to the wetlands to meet the waterbirds, turtles and keep a look out for the shy little platypus. Each of the two circuit walks is about 500 metres on the easy all weather paths.
By now the kangaroos and their joeys have woken up from midday siestas so its time for a short drive to the grassy fields and wander amongst the roos as they peacefully munch away. The small mobs of mainly female kangaroos are very friendly - so stroll up to a few metres away for some close up photographs, and perhaps spot a joey poke its head out of mum's pouch.
On the way to or from the nature reserve (depending on weather conditions and time of year) we call in at the nearby NASA space discovery centre where the huge array of dish antenna communicate with distant spacecraft exploring our solar system.
Our return to Canberra is by a different route - so you get to see more of the gorgeous rolling countryside, and maybe spot a wombat down by the river crossing. On the journey home your guide will be happy to provide local tips and advice on the best places to eat and other top spots to visit in Canberra as we make our way back to the city. We can return you to your accommodation or, if your prefer, to one of the restaurant precincts.
In the event of wet weather, we still offer the guided wildlife walks and can provide raincoats and umbrellas as required. We may modify the itinerary to spend more time in sheltered areas.
Please note that on very hot days with severe fire risk the authorities may close the nature reserve and in this event we have to cancel the trip and either try to reschedule to provide a refund.
Duration: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select 'child' when booking. It is very important that you inform us of your child's age at the time of booking so that we can ensure that the appropriate child car seat is fitted in the vehicle.
- The Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve may be closed on days where there is a high fire risk or other severe weather event. In this situation we will contact you to offer an alternative nature tour or to reschedule for a different day. If neither of these options is possible we offer a full refund.
- Please bring extra warm clothing in the cooler months from May to October. Coats and other warm clothing can be left in the vehicle if not required.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 6 people.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Local English speaking guide
- Transport to and from the park including pick up and drop-off back to your accommodation
- Bottle of water
- Park entry fee
- Use of raincoats and umbrellas if needed
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Canberra Urban Adventures
- Food and drink (other than a bottle of water)
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up at your hotel or accommodation. If you don't know this at the time of booking please send the pick up address plus your name, at least 24 hours prior to tour departure time, by text message to: +61 421 140 401, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
4 hours 30 minutes
Canberra ACT, Australia
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Urban Adventures Canberra in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.