Sydney’s world-famous Mardi Gras is the evolution of 200 years of LGBTQ history in Sydney. From the gay governor whose conduct scandalised the British Empire to the bright lights of the gay strip on Oxford Street, hear the stories and see the sites that define Sydney as one of the friendliest cities for LGBTQ culture in the world on your very own private tour.
About This Deal
Take a private tour of Sydney and discover its proud LGBTQ heritage. Learn about the gay governor of New South Wales whose conduct scandalised the British Empire, the gay bushranger who was hanged at Darlinghurst Gaol, and the "most violent woman in Sydney," a tough lesbian criminal who carried a knuckleduster in her handbag and stole male gangsters' girlfriends.
Starting out at Hyde Park Barracks, you’ll explore the eastern part of the city near Hyde Park and the Botanical Gardens before your Sydney tour heads toward the bright lights of the gay strip on Oxford Street. Your local guide will share dark tales of organised crime, corrupt cops, murder, and Oxford Street’s ultimate transformation into the centre of gay life in Sydney in the 1970s.
And, of course, an LGBT tour of Sydney wouldn't be complete without a look at the city’s famous Mardi Gras — how it started, why it began, and how it’s become one of the largest events on Sydney’s festival calendar.
Your private tour finishes at a friendly gay pub where you’ll have a drink on us, rub shoulders with locals, and see why Sydney is one of the friendliest gay and lesbian cities in the world.
This tour is designed for everyone. So don’t worry, no matter who you are or how you identify, you’ll be welcomed.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted to join this tour.
- Dress for the weather: bring a coat and umbrella if it looks like rain, wear comfortable shoes, and bring a bottle of water. Also note we will be entering a bar at the end of the tour, so please be sure to wear appropriate footwear.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Local English-speaking guide
- Choice of alcoholic/non-alcoholic drink at the conclusion of the tour
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Additional food and drink
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips or gratuities for your guide
Macquarie Street, Macquarie St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Oxford Street, Oxford St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, Australia
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Urban Adventures Sydney in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.