Explore the historic ruins of one of Australia’s largest shale oil production schemes – the Newnes Shale Oil Refinery.
This fully guided walking tour explores the fascinating history of the once thriving Blue Mountains shale oil industry taking in the Newnes shale oil refinery ruins, the incredible beehive-shaped coking kilns, the remote township of Newnes and the beautiful Wolgan River.
This tour is well suited to history buffs and nature lovers alike.
At Wolgan Valley Eco Tours we believe that walking is a great way to explore the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area. Our small group sizes, personalised service and experienced local guide offers guests a greater opportunity to experience and learn more about the history, ecology, flora and fauna, climate and geology that make this landscape unique.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Newnes Industrial Ruins walk, Newnes New South Wales Australia Newnes Rd, Australia Plains, New South Wales 2790 Australia
Built in 1906, the refinery was an ambitious undertaking by the British based Commonwealth Oil Corporation to exploit the Wolgan Valley’s vast shale reserves. The use of 19th century technology and the importation of lower priced crude oil into Australia finally closed the works in 1932.
All that remains of this once prosperous industry and thriving community are the industrial ruins and building foundations dispersed across the historically significant landscape.
Join cultural historian and local guide Kristie Kearney on this half day walking tour exploring the fascinating history of
this once thriving shale oil industry. The walking tour takes in the shale oil refinery ruins, the iconic beehive-shaped coking kilns, the remote township of Newnes and the beautiful Wolgan River.
The Newnes Ruins Walking Tour includes a delicious morning tea of locally baked goods, bottled water, park fees and local guide.
Duration: 4 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Coffee and/or Tea - Morning tea including locally baked goods and fruit.
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Newnes Industrial Ruins walk
- Private transportation
Newnes Hotel, 3406 Wolgan Rd, Newnes NSW 2790, Australia
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Wolgan Valley Eco Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.