The Chifley displays all the stunning limestone formations for which Jenolan is famous, including delicate straws. One of Jenolan's best examples of exquisite 'spar' crystal can be seen in the Chifley.
One of our shorter and less strenuous cave tours, the Chifley amazes young and old. This tour does not retrace its path, so you always wonder what is around the corner.
The Chifley has a fascinating history, and was the first cave in the world to be lit with electric light - as early as 1880. In fact it was one the earliest places in the world to use light bulbs - remarkable at the time.
Two of its beautiful grottoes are still illuminated with historical coloured lights, a reminder of its unique heritage - children find these fascinating.
What You'll Get
Jenolan was a protected reserve before the Chifley Cave was discovered. So, its natural beauty has been preserved.
The Chifley is regarded as one of Jenolan's less strenuous caves, with only 421 stair steps. So the tour guide can take visitors into this cave at an easy pace.
The first major chamber is called the 'Margarita Chamber', which in 1860 was the setting for Jenolan's earliest experiments with modern lighting. This is the first cave to ever be illuminated by a light bulb, something we all take for granted these days. Some of the cave's historical coloured lights can also be experienced in this chamber - children love this. A century ago, coloured lights were the fashion in cave lighting. These days, they are retained as part of Jenolan's unusual history.
Next the group enters the 'Madonna Chamber' and then into the beautiful 'Lucinda Chamber'. The 'Lucinda Chamber' is rich with beautiful cave shawls and delicate crystal straws - breathtaking!
Next the group descends into 'Katie's Bower', a massive cavern, and into 'Upper Katies', rich with pure white crystal and a stunning view into 'Katie's Bower' below. On the way out of the Chifley Cave, the group sees the best examples of delicate 'spar' crystal at Jenolan.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- There are 421 stair steps on this tour, which extends 690 metres into the mountain. This tour can be enjoyed by people of all ages and of average fitness. However, it is not suitable for anyone with health or mobility problems.
- Photography is welcomed, but tripods, monopods and selfie sticks are not allowed.
- Front slings are the only baby carrying equipment allowed on this tour.
- Aim to arrive at Jenolan at least 30 minutes before your tour, to find parking and to use the restrooms
- Service animals allowed
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No food (not even chewing gum) is allowed on your tour. You can carry water in a small plastic bottle. Refreshments are available from our cafe and hotel.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- Full guided tour and commentary for 1 hour.
- Jenolan has a large cafe, where you can purchase light lunch, drinks and snacks. There is also a large restaurant, which is open every evening. A range of accommodation is available.
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Jenolan Caves in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.