This History Tour has been curated by heritage professionals to uncover the notorious secrets, stories & scandals of Kings Cross — Sydney's historic red-light strip.
Once a bourgeois neighbourhood boasting harbour-side mansions & Victorian villas, this bustling pocket of Sydney was transformed by bohemia, entertainment & modernist architecture during the roaring 1920's Jazz Age. Amidst the sparkling lights of its inter-war years, The Cross also became riddled with backstreet bordellos, sly-grog stores, razor-wielding gangs, crime-lords (and ladies), murders, mysteries & martinis.
By the 1960s, the streets teamed with revellers visiting its red-light strip of neon fantasies, nightclubs & local eccentrics — dubbed in the media as 'Sin City'. Crime and corruption continued as new heavyweights such as The Boss of The Cross took the reigns, and by 1975 the neighbourhood was embroiled in one of Sydney's most scandalous cold-case murder mysteries.
Uncover this unique story in style!
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kings Cross, Kings Cross, New South Wales
Your guide will uncover the 'Golden Mile' strip and back streets of Kings Cross — a former red light district and entertainment mecca lined with nightclubs, strip clubs, theatres, flashing bill boards and quirky Art Deco architecture.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Potts Point Sunday Markets, Macleay Street, Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales 2011 Australia
Potts Point is the residential neighbourhood of Kings Cross, this tour will visit its eclectic mix of street markets and foodie alleys, Georgian Mansions, Victorian villas, Art deco apartments, Gothic convents, Harbour views, broad leafy avenues and artistic alley ways — while bringing to life the notorious tales of its historic residents and revellers.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Alcoholic Beverages - An after tour drink at an iconic local pub is included in this tour. Enjoy a local beer or cider, glass of house wine, tea, coffee, soft drink, juice or sparkling water with your guide and group.
Springfield Lodge Potts Point, 9 Springfield Ave, Potts Point NSW 2011, Australia
2 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Journey Walks in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.