Do you want to be in the water alongside humpback whales? Would you like to contribute to important research aimed at protecting these magnificent mammals? If you said YES! then Pacific Whale Foundation has a special opportunity for you in Hervey Bay.
The purpose of the Swim-With-Whales Impact Study is to assess the impact of immersive whalewatching (or swim-with-whales tourism) on humpback whales in Hervey Bay by monitoring and recording behaviours and behavioural changes before, during and after in-water encounters.
Our objectives are to (1) better understand if humpback whales change their behavior due to in-water interactions with humans, (2) identify factors which may influence behaviour change, and (3) provide recommendations to governing authorities, resource managers, and tour operators to ensure that Hervey Bay’s humpback whales are not negatively impacted by swim-with-whales tourism.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pacific Whale Foundation, Shop 1, Great Sandy Straits Marina, Urangan, Hervey Bay, Queensland 4655 Australia
You will check in for your tour at 45 minutes prior to your departure time (6:15am) at PWF Eco Adventures store at Shop #4 .
Duration: 5 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No children under 6 years of age allowed on this excursion
- You should bring your own towel and reef-safe sunscreen, which for your convenience can be purchased at check-in (Shop 4, Great Sandy Straits Marina).
- Immersive activity will not take place or will be discontinued under certain conditions:
- If a calf, injured, sick or entangled whale is present.
- If a whale carcass has been identified or reported in the area.
- If any whale is demonstrating aggressive behaviour.
- If the pod or whale cannot be approached unobtrusively and cautiously for any reason.
- If the pod or whale exhibits visible signs of disturbance.
- For any reasons relating to the health and safety of any passenger, whale, or other animal in the vicinity.
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- Please check in 45 minutes prior to your departure time (6:15am) at our Pacific Whale Foundation store located at Shop 4, Great Sandy Straits Marina, Buccaneer Street.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Wetsuits and snorkel gear will be provided.
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Live commentary on board
- Reef-safe sunscreen available to purchase
Great Sandy Straits Marina Urangan Hervey Bay, 17 Buccaneer Dr, Urangan QLD 4655, Australia
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Pacific Whale Foundation Australia in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here.