The Bonnet Island Experience provides you with a sensitive and immersive guided tour to a remote little penguin colony on a small island on Tasmania’s west coast. Cruising from Strahan in the evening aboard MV Sophia, this is a boutique tour on which you’ll enjoy historical and natural interpretation, quality Tasmanian food and wine and close but respectful access to witness Little Penguins returning from their day at sea. It weaves scenery, wildlife and local yarns into one beautiful experience, enjoyed with a small group to the backdrop of sunset over the Southern Ocean.
What You'll Get
Meet your local guide in Strahan then set out by fast boat to Bonnet Island. Hear informative commentary as you glide over the ocean to the small island where the world’s smallest penguin species nest in a thriving colony. You'll get the rare opportunity to set foot on Bonnet Island to see the Little Penguins.
Once your boat reaches the island, follow your guide on land in search of little penguins. Learn about the birds and their habitat while carefully walking about the rocky terrain of the island. Your guide provides special lights that do not disturb the birds. If you're lucky, you get to see the little penguins returning to their nests after a day of hunting for food to feed their young.
As well as exploring Bonnet Island, enjoy sunset drinks and nibbles with the Southern Ocean as your backdrop. Look out at the Bonnet Island lighthouse and listen to stories about its keepers and their families. Imagine living in this remote area, trying to prevent shipwrecks in stormy conditions.
Hop aboard your boat to return to Strahan. Your tour ends when you return to Strahan.
Please note: Wear warm clothing and sturdy closed-toe walking shoes. A fleece jacket, warm hat, gloves and waterproof jacket are recommended.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- 3-hour tour
- Minimum of two guests are required to guarantee departure
- Bonnet Island is closed for winter and for the Penguin breeding season which is from mid-September until mid-October. These dates may change closer to the dates dependent on the breeding at the time.
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Not wheelchair accessible and not suitable for guests with restricted mobility
- Please wear closed-toe walking shoes and warm clothing. A fleece jacket, beanie and gloves and waterproof jacket are recommended
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Local guide
- Cheese platter, other snacks and all beverages
- Gordon River Cruises beanie
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Gordon River Cruises, 24 Esplanade, Strahan TAS 7468, Australia
45-mins before sunset
2 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the The Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.