Hidden in the north of Australia is a network of World War II highlighting a military past. Many WWII relics remain today, ‘down-the-track’ and on this full-day tour, you'll be transported inland to visit a few of these sites.
The highlight of your day is a guided tour of the No. 4 Repair and Salvage Unit (4RSU) which sits on private land adjacent to Pell Airstrip. Refreshments will be served, 1940s style as you browse some of the interesting artifacts that have been discovered on the farm.
Time for reflection at Adelaide River War Cemetery before enjoying a hearty lunch at Adelaide River Inn.
Further exploration of the Coomalie district is not complete without a visit to the Batchelor Museum housing displays that honour the men who were stationed at the Civil Aerodrome which became an important base for Allied Air operations during the war.
The final stop before returning to Darwin is Strauss Airstrip where the airplane revetments are clearly visible 78 years on.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Adelaide River War Cemetery, 97&105 Memorial Terrace, Adelaide River, Northern Territory 0846 Australia
Wander through the Cemetery viewing memorials and headstones of both WWII service personnel and civilians.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Adelaide River, Adelaide River, Top End, Northern Territory
Enjoy a hearty luncheon from a small selection of freshly prepared dishes.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Batchelor Museum, Tarkarri Rd & Kirra Cres, Batchelor, Northern Territory 0845 Australia
Step back in time at the Batchelor Museum and wander its WWII displays
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Strauss Airfield, Stuart Highway, Darwin, Northern Territory Australia
Drive around the revetments before stopping to capture a sense of what the airstrip once looked like.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- COVID-19 vaccination required for guides
- Mandatory check-in applies within the Northern Territory - download 'The Territory Checkin' app. Face masks to be worn when ordered by the CHO NT. Observe social distancing and cover a cough or sneeze with bent elbow or tissue then dispose of the tissue and take hand hygiene measures.
- Coffee and/or Tea - Served at WWII 4RSU at Pell Airstrip.
- Lunch - Choose from a set menu, served at Adelaide River Inn.
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Bottled water - Available for your refreshment.
- Guided tour at WWII 4RSU at Pell Airstrip
- Entry fee to Batchelor Museum
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Batchelor Museum
- Alcoholic Beverages - Drinks are at own expense when dining at Adelaide River Inn
- Soda/Pop - Drinks are at own expense when dining at Adelaide River Inn.
- Restroom on board
- WiFi on board
Traveler pickup is offered
Please be waiting in the Foyer of your hotel 5 minutes before scheduled pickup time. Traffic conditions may delay the vehicle up to 10 minutes past your scheduled pickup time.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Walk Darwin Pty Ltd in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.