Discover the wildlife of Penguin Island and Shoalwater Island Marine Park during a 90-minute cruise with an expert guide. Watch wild dolphins frolicking near your boat, circle small islands to observe Australian sea lions and seabirds, then disembark at Penguin Island, home to the largest colony of little penguins in Western Australia. Observe the ranger-led little penguin feeding at the Discovery Centre, then explore the center and island on your own. Swim, hike, snorkel, picnic—the choice is yours. Simply catch the ferry back to Shoalwater when you are done.
What You'll Get
Make your own way to Shoalwater, located about a 45-minute drive from central Perth, to meet your boat for the 90-minute cruise through Shoalwater Island Marine Park.
As your boat sets out, your guide locates some of the 200 bottlenose dolphins that live in these waters. Many are known to your guides and given names such as Logo, Boomerang and Blizzard. Learn fascinating facts about dolphins such as how they use cooperative hunting methods to catch their food. You may see mothers looking after newborn calves or witness the acrobatic mammals jumping next to the boat and riding in the wake. Your boat is equipped with an underwater microphone that also allows you to hear the dolphins’ clicks and whistles.
After enjoying the dolphins, take in scenic highlights of Shoalwater Bay as you cruise by Seal Island to see Australian sea lions up close and seabirds such as pelicans, ospreys, cormorants and terns that nest on the rugged islands.
Your cruise ends at beautiful Penguin Island, a nature reserve that is home to Western Australia’s largest colony of little penguins. Arrive at the island just in time to see the pint-size penguins feeding at the Discovery Centre. A park ranger leads a feeding presentation that lasts about 20 minutes and answers visitor questions about the center, which provides care for injured wild penguins or those deemed unfit for release. You can watch the little penguins swimming and waddling in a habitat that resembles their natural home.
The rest of your day is up to you. Enjoy free time to explore the nature reserve, take an easy 45-minute hike along the nature trail, swim, snorkel, picnic or simply relax. When you're ready, make your way to the jetty to catch the ferry for the 5-minute ride back to the mainland.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please bring sunscreen, hat and a warm jacket
- Please note: there are no shops on Penguin Island so you can either bring your own food and beverages. There is a café located on the mainland, next to the cruise departure point that offers a range of takeaway picnic options (At own expense)
- Snorkeling equipment is not provided. If you wish to snorkel on Penguin Island, you must bring your own equipment
- Please dress comfortably. We recommend flip-flops or sandals and if the weather is good bring your swimwear, towels and a change of clothes. There are toilet facilities and change rooms on Penguin Island.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This Tour is only suitable for children over the age of 3 years.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- 90-minute cruise in the Shoalwater Island Marine Park
- Penguin feeding at the Penguin Island Discovery Centre
- Local guide
- Return ferry to Shoalwater
- Entry/Admission - Penguin Island
- Entry/Admission - Shoalwater Islands Marine Park
- Food and drinks
Rockingham Wild Encounters, 153 Arcadia Dr, Shoalwater WA 6169, Australia
1 hour 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Penguin Island in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.