Canberra massage offers: things to know before you go
Preparation is the key to relaxation, so before you book your massage deal and settle down on that table, get the low down on cheap massages in Canberra and find out what to expect.
What types of massage are popular in Canberra?
Canberra is home to many highly rated beauty and spa venues offering different types of massages. Some of the most popular options include:
- Swedish massage. This is the traditional style of massage, ideal for easing muscle tension, boosting circulation and reducing stress. Find it at Queen Bee Beauty Studio in Dickson.
- Thai massage. Combining yoga-style poses with pressure applied to different areas of the body, Thai massages are hugely popular as they leave the body feeling energised and refreshed. Try it at Belconnen ACT Thai Massage.
- Facial massage. Often combined with treatments such as an exfoliating facial, this beauty therapy can improve the appearance of your skin, reduce fine lines and wrinkles and leave it feeling fresh. Find it at Holy Nails & Spa Salon in Dickson.
How can I decide what massage is best for me?
There are many different types of massage available, which makes choosing the right one tricky. To help decide which might be right for you, here's a list of different massages and their benefits:
- Sports massage – This style is ideal for athletes suffering from performance-related injuries such as shin splints, tennis elbow and sprains.
- Aromatherapy massage – Perfect if you suffer from stress or anxiety, an aromatherapy massage uses essential oils with calming and uplifting properties.
- Hot stone massage – Hot stones are ideal for boosting circulation and can even promote better sleep and lower your stress levels.
- Reflexology – This special of massage involves applying pressure to parts of the feet and hands, can help with migraines and sleep disorders.
If you're still undecided, check out our massage 101 guide for more information about the most popular types of therapies.
Where does the best massage in Canberra?
If you're looking for the best massage in Canberra, it's easy to find a top-quality venue near you. Here are just a few of the city's highest-rated merchants, based on reviews from local Groupon customers:
- Aromatic Wood Thai Massage – This venue in Phillip offers an array of holistic treatments, from relaxation massages to hot oil and foot reflexology.
- Kylie's Beauty – Treatments available at this peaceful haven in Greenway include hot coconut oil and deep tissue massages.
- Sabai My Thai Massage – Treat yourself to a full body massage or hot coconut oil massage for one or two people.
What should I expect from my first massage?
If you've never had a massage before, here are a few useful things to remember so you're properly prepared:
- Clothing – What you wear is largely up to you. For treatments such as a Thai massage, you'll need to wear loose, comfortable clothing, while for any that you'll be lying down for, you're usually covered by towels and sheets.
- Showering – It's always a good idea to take a shower before your massage, as this can remove any sweat or chemicals from your skin. Plus, it can help to loosen your muscles before your treatment begins.
- Sharing – Always tell your massage therapist about any health problems you have, or any aches and pains, so they can tailor the treatment to meet your needs.