Affordable gyms on the Gold Coast: things to know before you go
Whether you're new to exercise or a seasoned pro, check out these answers to some of the most common questions before signing up to a cheap gym on the Gold Coast.
Where is the best gym in Broadbeach?
As you'd expect from one of the Gold Coast's trendiest suburbs, Broadbeach has plenty of well-equipped modern gyms and yoga studios. Three of the best are My Health Yoga, Pulse Pilates and Fitness and Bodhi Power Yoga.
H3: How often should I go to the gym?
Your fitness goals should determine how often you go to the gym and the type of exercise you do. Most people aim to go to the gym three times per week but how much you'd like to exercise is up to you.
But it's important to remember that everyone's threshold is different. A dedicated triathlete will be able to handle much more workout time per week than someone who's just starting out on their fitness journey.
Read ‘How much exercise is too much?', which highlights the importance of rest days and listening to your body to get the most out of your exercise regime.
H3: How much is gym membership on the Gold Coast?
Gym memberships can range from $50 to $65 a month on average. Luckily, you can get discounts of up to 70% when you book a weekly or monthly pass through Groupon. Factors that can affect the cost of your membership include:
- Personal trainer sessions. Most gyms charge an extra fee for tailored workouts offered by personal trainers. But you can find discounts from the experts at Listen To Your Body.
- Fitness classes. Some gyms might ask you to pay more if they offer classes with few participants. Peak Health Club in Varsity Lakes offers Groupon discounts on its small group classes.
- Cycling studio. Members might pay more for their monthly gym pass if they offer access to state-of-the art facilities. Breathe Health Club in Northlakes offers you the chance to use top-quality cardio and cycling equipment at a discount.
What type of exercise should I be doing?
Everyone's ideal workout is different. The type of exercise you do should depend not only on what you want to achieve, but what you enjoy. There's no point registering for a class if you won't feel motivated to attend every week. Here are just a few types of exercise and their benefits:
- Yoga. There are many styles of yoga to suit all fitness goals. Try a relaxing Hatha yoga class to strengthen your muscles and calm your mind, or check out a hot yoga session to kickstart your weight loss goals. These classes are held in a heated room to help you burn more calories.
- Cycle classes. A high-energy cycling class is a great way to burn calories and leave the stresses of your day far, far behind. Check out InspireCycle for full body spin workout sessions.
- Martial arts. Ideal for improving focus and flexibility, martial arts are also great for weight loss and cardiovascular health. Some, such as tai chi, can reduce stress through their focus on slow, controlled movements and breathing.
- F-45 Training. These high-intensity group workouts have taken Australia by storm in recent years. Each class involves up to 55 seconds of intense exercise followed by a short rest period of up to 20 seconds. Want to learn more? Check out our guide to five thoughts you'll have during an F-45 class.
Remember, the broader benefits of going to the gym include:
- Lowering your blood pressure
- Improving your mood
- Boosting your energy levels
- Weight loss
- Strengthening the muscles and joints