Indian restaurant deals in Sydney: things to know before you go
Before you dive in and taste the heat, make sure you find a deal for a cheap Indian restaurant in Sydney which is both tasty and great value with these handy tips.
Where's the best authentic Indian restaurant in Sydney?
Sydney has an excellent range of Indian restaurants offering authentic flavours and traditional menus. Here's our pick of the best Indian restaurants in the city:
- Shriya's Flavours of India. Enjoy a delicious feast at this authentic restaurant with fresh ingredients sourced from local markets. Try a mixture of traditional delicacies including tasters, a main and a traditional Gulab jamun desert – all washed down with a glass of wine.
- Not Just Curries. With a mission to deliver authentic and homemade Indian food to Sydneysiders, enjoy a four-course meal for up to four people and a bottle of wine in this deal. As the name suggests, its not just curries on offer here – customers will be taken on a journey through India with seafood, vegetarian meals and traditional deserts.
- The Colonial British Indian Cuisine. Specialising in North-West Indian cuisine, which was once ruled by the British, here customers can experience a fusion of authentic Indian food and British gastronomy. Grab a deal and up to four guests can enjoy a three-course dinner with either wine or beer.
Can I get Indian street food in Sydney?
Part of Sydney's charm lies in is all-encompassing street food markets dotted across the city. If you're looking for Indian grub, here's where to start:
- Billu's. Located in Harris Park, if you're looking to grab a quiet bite to eat that's full of flavour, this eatery has you covered. Or if you want a sit down meal, they now have a restaurant in Barangaroo called Spiced by Billu's.
- Bombay Street Kitchen. Even though it's a restaurant, this establishment brings the heart of Bombay street food to Sydney in a casual and authentic setting. With vegetarian and vegan options as well as a takeaway menu, this is a gem which has something for everyone.
What are the most popular Indian dishes?
Indian food is popular around the world thanks to its rich flavour, exciting spices and mouth-watering aroma. Here are just a few of Australia's favourite Indian dishes:
- Biryani. An exciting mix of rice, spice, meat and vegetables, every city in India has its own authentic biryani dish.
- Butter chicken. If you're not fond of heat, butter chicken is ideal. Rich with cream, spices and herbs, this dish is both sweet and tangy, sending your senses into overdrive.
- Tandoori chicken. Often cooked on a barbie, its no wonder Aussies adore this dish. The tandoor spices and herbs give the dish plenty of flavour, perfect with a portion of rice and slice of lemon.
- Tikka Masala. A brightly coloured curry dish which is mild in spice, best enjoyed with chicken or paneer with rice.
What's the healthiest type of Indian food?
Here's our top tips for enjoying rich flavour without the high calories at an Indian restaurant:
- Look for Dal on a menu. Dal dishes are made with lentils – ordering a dish with these healthy legumes will give you flavour, protein and fibre.
- Skip the Naan. While great for soaking up the extra sauce, bread is high in calories doesn't have much nutritional value – sorry!
- Avoid creamy dishes. Curries such as tikka masala and korma are rich in cream and oils, therefore loaded with calories.